Registration fee of $75.00
Waived if the full registration process has been completed before May 15, 2019, also waived for all Young Adults.
New SI Attendees
We are so glad to welcome you to Summer Institute. Visit About Summer Institute to prepare for a wonderful week. It may feel a little overwhelming but know that first-time members of our community are offered lots of support. Resources will be available at registration to make sure all your questions are answered.
Who must register?
Everyone has to register! This means, infants, children, youth, young adults, adults, part-time attendees, full-time and part-time staff – including theme speakers, workshop leaders, touch group leaders etc. Everyone attending SI must register!
When can I register?
Registration will open March 15, 2019.
To avoid the $75 late fee, complete the registration process by May 15th.
Registration closes June 15, 2019.
Why should I register early?
In addition to saving $75 per person on your registration, housing is assigned on a first-come-first-served basis. Dorm assignment and Air Conditioning requests fill up quickly. Workshops are also assigned based on registration priority and many have a limited numbers of attendees. Lastly, by registering early you’ll give back a little to others– making life a little easier for the Summer Institute Registration Team.
What are the Workshop Offerings?
Before you register, check out the website outlining the program offerings. If you are an Adult or Young Adult, You are not required to attend a morning workshop, but if you wish to participate in one you must select your first and second preferences for morning workshops before you register online in order to enter your selections into your registration form.
What is the Family Group Name?
The “Family Group name” is a way to link registrations of people who want to room and pay together (which is often, but not always, a family). Please be sure that you list the same Family Group Name for each person in your group. This will help the registration team manage your registration, assign your rooms, and make sure that your SI registration experience runs smoothly.
What are my Housing Options?
This year we have several housing options open to us! If you have special housing concern, indicate your request in the “Special Dorm Request” field and we will do our best to accommodate your requests. All requests are evaluated on a first-come, first-served basis, so register early.
- Kahn which is ALL AC and right next to the dining hall. Priority will be given to people with mobility issues and those requesting AC. There is an air conditioned childcare co-op. A block of rooms in Kahn will be reserved for Ministers and DRE’s.
All Air Conditioned rooms in Kahn have been filled, only townhouses are available for those who need AC. (See Townhouse rules below).
- Burton and East will be for people not requesting AC. They are both right on the quad and will be perfect for those who want to be in the quad community. Bring your chair and your instrument for instant community. East will contain a childcare co-op for families not requesting AC.
- Zechiel will be the Young Adult Focus Dorm.
- Barrows will again be the Youth Focus Dorm.
- Townhouses 2 people may share each bedroom in a townhouse. At least 3 bedrooms need to be filled in each unit per Oberlin’s rules. You may request to share a Townhouse with specific attendees, or you may request that the Summer Institute Registrars try to match you up with other attendees who also wish to stay in a townhouse. The Townhouses each have a private living space, kitchen and bathroom and are located at the North End of campus.
Can my kids sleep on the floor?
Yes! Two children or youth can sleep on the floor in a double dorm room or 1 child may sleep on the floor in a single dorm room. (This has been updated from previous years due to fire regulations). Oberlin provides one key for each bed. Children or youth sleeping on the floor do not receive a key.
How much does it cost to attend Summer Institute?
Costs are based on the selections you make in housing and meals. You can use the Cost Estimator to look at the choices available. Costs may be reduced by applying for scholarships or camperships. If you have a campership, you must know your Campership number and Tier before you complete your online registration form. Your contact on the SIPC, SIYP or SIYAP will provide you this information.
Are scholarships or financial aid available?
YES! The Scholarship deadline May 31. There is a limited amount of scholarship money available
See the scholarships page for detailed information and application packet. If you have questions please contact the Scholarship Chair at [email protected]
Speaking of scholarships, can I donate money to the scholarship fund?
Absolutely. There is a section on the Payment Form where you can donate to the Scholarship Fund. These donations may be tax deductible, per IRS regulations. Not registering? You can donate here!
Great! How Do I Register?
First, complete the online registration form. After filling out the form you will receive a Confirmation email with the following instructions:
- All SI registrants will need to either pay their registration fee in full or make a 50% deposit on or before May 15 to avoid the $75 registration fee. There is an easy PayPal link at the end of the registration form. To pay for several attendees together, wait until all registrations are entered to submit your payment here.
- All Adults and Young Adults MUST sign up for a volunteer workshift on SignUpGenius.com. (Youth will also participate in workshifts through their touch-base groups.) EVERYONE must sign up — even if you are volunteering in another capacity and receiving a full campership. Everyone chipping in is what makes this community event a success!
- Parents and Youth MUST register, each with their own DISTINCT email address.
- Additional Required forms:
- Registering a 6th grade child or younger (including infants)? Fill out the online Child Supervision Contract. You will receive an email containing the link to this form.
- Registering a Youth? Fill out the online Youth Form for anyone entering 7th grade through 12th grade. This also applies to 2018 high school graduates who haven’t “bridged” into the Young Adult Group. You will receive an email containing the link to this form.
- Are you a child or youth, attending with someone who is not your legal guardian or custodial parent? You’ll need a GUARDIAN FORM. This is a paper form that needs completed IN ADDITION to the online form. You will receive an email with a link to this form, so you can print it, fill it out, and get it notarized. Notarized Guardian forms must be mailed to the UUA Events Coordinator by June 15th. If you are 18 years old and in the youth program, you will not need a guardian form; however, you will need to have a sponsor, and complete the paperwork for the Youth bullet.
Do I have to pay in full when I register?
No. You are only required to pay a 50% deposit upon registration (or by May 15). The remainder will be due at Registration on the first day of SI. There are four options you can select to pay your registration fee:
- Pay your full registration fee via PayPal when you finish filling out the online form. This is a great option for single registrants who do not have a family group, or for people who don’t mind making several payment transactions.
- Delayed payment via PayPal. This is a good option for people who wish to make a 50% deposit using their credit cards and family groups who wish to pay for several registrations in one transaction.
- Mail a check, to UUA-CER. This is a great option for people who wish to make a 50% deposit, families who wish to pay for several registrations, and anyone who wants to receive a $5 discount per registrant. If you select this option you will receive instructions via email.
- Staff only: you may use your campership discount as your deposit. You may pay the remainder of your registration fee when you arrive at SI on July 7.
- Scholarship applicants only: If you are applying for a scholarship: No money is due upon registration. You will receive an email notifying you of the amount of your scholarship, and this will apply as your deposit. You may pay the remainder of your registration fee when you arrive at SI on July 7.
What happens if I have to cancel?
If you cancel by May 15, 2019 you will be refunded the total amount less $25 per person.
If you cancel between May 15, 2019 and July 1, 2019, you will be refunded the total amount less $50 per person.
All cancellations after July 1 will be refunded less $100 per person.
Will I hear from anyone after I register online or send in my registration?
Immediately upon registering you will get an email that explains your next steps. First Timers will also get an email from the first timer coordinator. In early July, all registrants will receive an email regarding housing, workshops and programming. As the arrival date grows closer, you may also be contacted by your workshop facilitator.